Our department offers thee majors: Communication Studies, Public Relations. Overall our majors provide theory and experiences in all aspects of interpersonal and audience-oriented interactions, media, and public relations. All programs emphasize the development of analytical thinking, writing and oral expression, and the application of theory and research to experience.
Communication Studies. The goal for the students and curriculum in the communication studies major is to examine how humans make and interpret meaning through the design, delivery and evaluation of messages. Communication studies builds on a strong foundation in theory and research to develop competence in message design and evaluation across the spectrum of contexts: intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, public, media, and organizational. This goal is directed into four learning outcome objectives:
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of communication theories, principles, and research methods.
- Students will develop a repertoire of communication skills in order to be an effective and ethical communicator across contexts.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to integrate self-knowledge and communication principles in order to evaluate the effectiveness and appropriateness of communication.
- Students will develop well-reasoned arguments both orally and in writing.
Public Relations. The public relations major is based upon our definition of public relations, that is, the study and practice of communication that builds relationships between organizations and their various publics. The goal for the students in this major is to develop knowledge of theory and research in the discipline and skill in application of this information in situation-specific contexts. This goal is directed into four learning outcome objectives:
- Students will demonstrate competence in using research and analysis to predict trends, synthesize information from a variety of sources, analyze audiences and solve problems to meet client needs.
- Students will demonstrate competence in using planning skills to organize and implement communication programs to further client goals.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly, ethically and effectively using print, broadcast and electronic communication channels.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to evaluate the effectiveness and appropriateness of public relations messages.