Wesleyan Service Scholars
The Wesleyan Service Scholars (WSS) program is designed for Wesleyan students who are passionate about leadership and service. Students serve approximately five to six hours per week in a non-profit or civic organization in the community or through an on-campus volunteer commitment (approved by a Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development [CCE] staff person) to receive an annual and renewable scholarship.
Wesleyan Service Scholars Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will explain the components of The Student Leadership Challenge and demonstrate application in their site placement.
- Students will articulate their knowledge of community needs and social issues gained through their participation in the program.
- Students will demonstrate responsibility by submitting validated time records of service on a regular basis.
- Students will interact responsibly and professionally with a diverse population of community members in a wide variety of settings.
Wesleyan Service Scholars receive:
- A $1500 annual, renewable scholarship ($750 per semester; $6,000 over four years)
- Tangible leadership and service experiences for internship interviews and post-graduation professional opportunities
- Opportunities to learn about the local community
- Knowledge of current social issues
Wesleyan Service Scholars are expected to:
- Complete community service and attend required meetings each semester, totaling 75 hours each semester
- Submit timesheets of their activities electronically every weeks
- Enroll in a one-credit Community Leadership course in the freshman fall semester
- Attend monthly meetings and check-in meetings as requested by CCE Staff
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Remain in good standing with program requirements
To learn more about the site placements available for Wesleyan Service Scholars, visit our Community Partners page.
To learn more about the Service Scholars program, contact LeeAnn Brown, Director of Community Engagement & Leadership Development at email@example.com, or ask the Admission staff for more information.