WVWC operates its own Safety and Security force staffed by full and part-time professional security personnel as well as several carefully selected student officers. The primary purpose of the program is to provide a safe and secure living environment for members of the college community.
Wesleyan security officers do not have police authority or carry weapons, but do cooperate fully with local law enforcement agencies in response to on and off campus incidents. Off-campus conduct is subject to college judicial action. Police reports and written documentations are regularly cross-referenced for appropriate follow-up of off-campus behavior.
Security Officer Responsibilities Include:
- Monitoring and securing all campus- owned buildings, parking areas and walkways
- Campus crime deterrence through regular patrols of college property
- Enforcement of college policies
- Investigation and documentation of policy violation
- Cooperation with residence life staff in promoting a safe and secure environment
- Traffic regulation
- Escort service when requested
- Compiling information from daily incident logs, residence hall reports and police data for annual fall reporting of crime statistics
- Liaison with local police in crime prevention efforts, referral for crime investigation and general safety education