25 Commonly Asked Interview Questions
Preparing for interviews for employment or internships, but need some help getting organized? Try practicing with these interview questions. Develop responses that help interviewers to clearly understand your strengths and related experience.
- Describe your short and long-range career goals?
- How do you define success?
- What is it about the career you have chosen that interests you?
- Describe your ideal manager/supervisor.
- a. What 3 words or terms do you think describe you most accurately?
b. How would a professor, a work supervisor, and a friend describe you in 3 words?
- Why does your personality suit you for this field?
- a. In what kind of work environment are you most comfortable?
b. How do you work under pressure?
- a. How did you prepare yourself for this job?
b. What is the most important thing you learned [not did] from a career-related experience in your past?
- What criteria are you using to evaluate the employer for whom you hope to work?
- Are you seeking employment in an organization of a certain size? Why?
- What 2 accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?
- Describe a difficult situation you've dealt with. How did you handle it? What did you learn from it?
- What have you learned from involvement in extracurricular activities?
- How have you changed since you started college?
- Assess your weakest performance area [something you evaluated and improved/resolved].
- How do you handle criticism? Examples?
- How do you handle personal conflict? Examples?
- What was your favorite college course and why?
- Least favorite college course and why?
- What do you do in your free time?
- Looking back, what are the gaps in your preparation for this position?
- What is the last book you read voluntarily? Tell me about it. [this really is often asked!]
- Name 3 personal strengths that relate to this position.
- Why should I hire you?
- Is your GPA a good predictor of your future employment performance?