Skip Navigation

Sisson Named Newman Civic Fellow for 2018

Posted
Mar 26, 2018

Campus Compact, a Boston-based non-profit organization working to advance the public purposes of higher education, has announced the students who comprises the organization’s 2018 cohort of Newman Civic Fellows, including West Virginia Wesleyan College’s own Sarah Sisson.

A junior, Sisson of Parkersburg, WV, is an athletic training major and psychology minor.  While at Wesleyan, she has been a member of WE LEAD, LEAP, and Zeta Tau Alpha.

“I am honored that I was nominated for this fellowship and even more humbled that I was chosen,” said Sisson. “I do not take part in community service for recognition; I do it because it is what makes me passionate for life. It brings me true joy knowing that I somehow made the world a little better.”

The Newman Civic Fellowship, named for Campus Compact co-founder Frank Newman, is a one-year experience emphasizing personal, professional, and civic growth. Through the fellowship, Campus Compact provides a variety of learning and networking opportunities, including a national conference of Newman Civic Fellows in partnership with the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate. The fellowship also provides fellows with access to exclusive scholarship and post-graduate opportunities.

“I feel that I embody the notion of a Newman Civic Fellow by living my life in service to others,” commented Sisson. “Making a difference, no matter how large or small in life, for the better is, I feel, why I am here. For those who know me, one of my greatest passions is being a voice for those who do not have one, whether that means animals or people.”

The Newman Civic Fellowship is supported by the KPMG Foundation and Newman’s Own Foundation.

Campus Compact is a nonprofit coalition of more than 1000 colleges and universities committed to the public purposes of higher education. As the only national association dedicated to this mission, Campus Compact is a leader in building community engagement into campus and academic life.  For more information, visit www.compact.org and follow @Campus_Compact on Twitter.