Skip Navigation

Maize and McCroskey Become Wesleyan’s First Ever Doctorate Degree Recipients

Posted
May 19, 2020

Dr. Kudora Maize of Morgantown and Dr. Miranda McCroskey of Buckhannon are West Virginia Wesleyan College’s first-ever doctoral degree recipients in the school’s 129-year history.  Both received Doctor of Nursing Practice degrees this month.

“It is hard to grasp that I am now a Wesleyan first,” said Maize.  “I could not be happier that I was able to finish the program with my best friend, Dr. McCroskey.”

“It is truly an honor to be a Wesleyan historical first,” added McCroskey.  “Every professor that I encountered from the beginning of my MSN to the end of my DNP were absolutely amazing.  They were so supporting of my education and goals.  Being able to graduate and become a Wesleyan first with my best friend made this experience more incredibly special.”

“The School of Nursing celebrates the first Doctor of Nursing Practice graduates, Dr. Maize and Dr. McCroskey,” stated Dr. Sue Leight, professor and director of the School of Nursing and Graduate Programs. “They have been trailblazers for our program and for Wesleyan.”

Maize, a Buckhannon-Upshur High School graduate, received a BSN from Wesleyan in 2015 and her MSN in 2017.  She is employed as a nurse practitioner with internal and emergency medicine at WVU Medicine Hospitals.

McCroskey graduated from Wirt County High School and earned a BA in psychology from West Virginia University and an AD and BSN from Fairmont State.  She received the MSN degree from Wesleyan before pursing the DNP program.  Like, Maize, she is employed as a nurse practitioner in the emergency department at WVU Medicine Hospitals.

“I pursued the DNP program to reach the terminal degree in my field,” noted Maize.  “I wanted to further my education to its highest potential for the benefit of my patients.  I have always enjoyed teaching students at the bedside and I plan to translate that into teaching students in the classroom.”

“The DNP is the terminal level of education in the nursing field, which is what motivated me to complete the program,” noted McCroskey.  “I also wanted to better myself as a provider in order to provide the highest level of care to my patients. I also hope to teach nursing at the college level and continue to precept nurse practitioner and physician assistant students in the emergency department.”

“I really enjoyed being a part of this program, but it was quite difficult,” added Maize.  “I had a very encouraging support system including my program professors, family, and friends.  I would recommend Wesleyan to anyone who has interest in pursuing nursing.”

“The program was challenging but completely worth the time and effort, stated McCroskey.  “The courses provided a very strong foundation to facilitate growth, evidence-based practice, and scholarship.  The faculty were with me every step of the way to push, encourage, and help me reach my goals.  I am grateful to my family, friends, and co-workers.  I could not have earned this degree without them.  I highly recommend this program to anyone who wishes to apply.”

Wesleyan’s School of Nursing is fully approved by the West Virginia Board of Professional Nurses and accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. In addition to the newly added Accelerated RN to MSN degree, The School offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Science in Nursing, Post Graduate Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner, and Doctorate of Nursing Practice.

Wesleyan’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing program was recently ranked 26th in the nation and first in West Virginia by RNCareers.org. In addition, the Community for Accredited Online Schools ranked Wesleyan as the Top Nursing School in West Virginia.

Wesleyan’s first-time NCLEX passage rate for BSN students has averaged 94% for the last five years.  Graduate students in nursing have also enjoyed great success.  The MSN-Family Nurse Practitioner students have a first-time pass rate on national certification exams that has averaged 95% for the last several years.

For more information about Wesleyan’s School of Nursing, go to www.wvwc.edu.