Skip Navigation

West Virginia Wesleyan College, WVSOM Celebrate Inaugural Class of Go D.O. Early Scholars

Posted
Sep 17, 2021

BUCKHANNON, West Virginia – Today, West Virginia Wesleyan College and the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine celebrated the inaugural class of Go D.O. Scholars with a luncheon in their honor. 

The first of its kind partnership between WVSOM and another higher education institution, the Go D.O. Early Scholars Program allows qualifying students to receive guaranteed acceptance into the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, upon successful completion of the undergraduate program requirements and interview as well as a waived MCAT.

“We are excited to welcome our inaugural class of exceptional students to the Go D.O. Early Scholars Program”, said Dr. Joel Thierstein, President of West Virginia Wesleyan College. “The West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine has been an amazing partner.”

WVSOM President Dr. James W. Nemitz added, “The establishment of a ‘Go D.O.’ Early Scholars Program for eligible West Virginia Wesleyan College students is a win for both institutions and for the state of West Virginia. This partnership will identify students who are driven to succeed and who have an early interest in osteopathic medicine, allowing WVSOM to provide mentorship and guidance for successfully navigating the path to medical school.”

“I look forward to welcoming these future students to WVSOM in the coming years,” Nemitz added.

WVSOM is planning several presentations to include Go D.O. Early Scholars in this academic year. 

Bryer Ketterman ‘25, of Buckhannon, West Virginia; Kaef Rehman ’25, of Daniels, West Virginia; Matthew Hambrecht ’25, of Frederick, Maryland; and Abigail Patterson ’25, of Charleston, West Virginia comprise the inaugural Early Scholars.

Ketterman, a biology major, said, “What attracted me to the Go D.O. Program was a direct, clear-cut path to med school with the WVSOM in four years. I want to pursue a career in medicine to make an impact on the world around me. There are so many medical concerns in our world today and I want to work in a field that is consistently fighting and advocating to improve people’s health.”

Patterson is choosing to major in biochemistry at West Virginia Wesleyan College and wants to use her own personal experiences to help others as a physician.

“I am thrilled to be a member of the inaugural class of the Go D.O. program,” Patterson said. “Having several health problems that require monitoring by specialists, I have come to appreciate the power of a caring and knowledgeable doctor. I have heard wonderful things about the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, so when I heard of this opportunity through a family friend, I knew this was my chance to become a great doctor and take care of people.”

Rehman already knew that he wanted to pursue a career in medicine and was also drawn to the Go D.O. program. 

“I felt that the Go D.O. Program would help put me on the best track to becoming an Osteopathic Physician while I also gain a Liberal Arts Education at West Virginia Wesleyan,” the biology major said. “I feel that growing up in West Virginia has exposed me to some of the harsh realities we face as a state.  I’ve always loved science and as a physician, I want to use my passion to help West Virginia as an underserved state succeed.”

Hambrecht, a biology major, said, “I discovered the Go-DO program via email outreach. I was already planning on pursuing some form of 4+4 or 3+4 medical program and the opportunity to be the first cohort of a new program made it impossible for me to pass up. 

“As a doctor you are tasked with dealing with the health problems that people come to you with, and sometimes your solutions to those problems may mean life or death. The opportunity to visibly see my work result in saving another human being or even just increasing their quality of life has been reason enough for me to want to overcome the rigors of, and devote my life to a career in medicine.”

Applications are now being accepted for 2022 admission. In-state and out-of-state students who score at least a 1390 on the SAT or at least a 30 on the ACT and have at least a 3.75 grade point average qualify for the Go D.O. Early Scholars Program. Click here to find out more. 

ABOUT WEST VIRGINIA WESLEYAN COLLEGE

West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC) is a private, four-year residential liberal arts college in Buckhannon, West Virginia. A tradition of excellence for more than 130 years, West Virginia Wesleyan is home to 14 Fulbright Scholars. The Princeton Review ranked Wesleyan one of its 2022 Best Colleges in the Southeastern Region of the United States. U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 Best College Rankings designated Wesleyan a “Top 20” Best Value – Regional Universities (South) and one of the “Top 75” Regional Universities (South). WVWC offers students more than 40 majors and 40 minors; graduate programs in athletic training, business administration, creative writing, and nursing; 22 NCAA Division II athletic programs; multiple performing arts groups; and more than 70 organizations. Founded in 1890, the College is closely affiliated with the United Methodist Church and abides by the Wesley doctrine that emphasizes service to others. For more information, visit wvwc.edu.