Procedures for Obtaining an Apostille
An Apostille is a form of authentication required by countries which have signed the 1961 Hague Convention abolishing the Requirement for Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. They are often needed by students who are required by their country to authenticate documents, such as a transcript or diploma. A student wishing to obtain an Apostille should submit a request to the Office of the Registrar requesting the authentication be attached to a designated document identifying the country to which it will be sent. If the request includes the diploma, the student must request a replacement diploma (fee charged) from the Academic Affairs Office by calling 304-473-8042 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The procedure for obtaining an apostille certification is as follows:
1) Submit official request to the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com identifying the following;
- Specific documents in need of the apostille
- Official transcripts may be requested by using the online request link located on the Wesleyan website under Academics/Academic Services. Please specify the delivery of the official transcript to the Office of the Registrar, WV Wesleyan College by noting in the comment section the need for an Apostille.
- Country to which the documents are to be sent
- The return address to which the documents will need to be mailed
2) For each certification required, a check or money order, drawn on a U.S. bank payable to the WV Secretary of State in the amount of $10 per certification must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar to be included in the prepared documentation. The Office of the Registrar will prepare the notarized documents and submit the compiled request to the WV Secretary of State. Once we are in receipt of the Apostille, the documentation will be sent to the requested address by U.S. Mail.
3) If you need express mail services to deliver the documents directly from the WV Secretary of State’s Office, a prepaid return Express Mail packet or a FedEx, UPS or other shipping service packet with your account number must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar to include in the request, otherwise U.S. Mail service will be utilized once the documentation is received from the WV Secretary of State.
4) Please allow a minimum of two weeks for the documents to be apostilled.