Skip Navigation

COVID-19 Grading Policy Changes



(Revised 5/1/2020)

With classes moving to alternative methods of instruction due to the COVID-19 disruption, we recognize that there may be concerns about how this change in delivery might impact students.  These extraordinary circumstances have prompted the College to enact a temporary pass/no credit policy as an option for the spring 2020 semester only. Students may decide if they want to convert a standard final letter grade they earn in a class to Pass/No Credit (P/NC) grading. Once final grades are posted at the end of the 2020 spring semester, students will have five calendar days to submit a request for a change from a standard grade to P/NC grading.  A P/NC Grading Adjustment Form, for both undergraduate and graduate students (MBA/MSAT only), will be available via Self-Service. The link to Self-Service is located at the bottom of the Wesleyan homepage.

For undergraduate students, upon receipt of final grades, a student may request:

  • A course grade of C or higher be recorded as a P grade (for credit/no quality points)
  • A course grade of C- or below be recorded as a NC grade (no credit/no quality points)

For graduate students (MBA and MSAT only) upon receipt of final grades, a student may request:

  • A course grade of B or higher be recorded as a P grade (for credit/no quality points)
  • A course grade of B- or below be recorded as a NC grade (no credit/no quality points)

NOTE: Graduate students on academic warning or probation may not opt into pass/no credit grading.

NOTE: Graduate students who are enrolled in an online class for the semester may not opt into pass/no credit grading.

Grades of P or NC will not count in the calculation of the grade point average and will neither raise your GPA, nor lower it.

A grade of P will count toward earned credit hours for the semester and overall.

A grade of NC will not count toward earned credit hours for the semester or overall.

Standard letter grades that are not converted will continue to function as usual.

Courses graded as P under this exception will count towards applicable curricular, major, continuation, and graduation requirements.

Once a student submits a request to move a course to P/NC status, they may not move the course back to graded status.

The key, attached to each official transcript, will include a notation denoting that Spring 2020 grades include a modified P/NC grade option due to the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Education majors should consult their academic advisors in the Education Department.

As this pandemic continues to be a fluid situation, the College may determine that additional revisions may be needed. You will be updated accordingly.

Grade Point Average Implications

For all undergraduate classes, a P grade is equivalent to a C or higher.  For graduate classes, a P grade is equivalent to a B or higher.

If you receive a NC grade you will not earn credit for the course and the course may need to be repeated.

Students should make this request having reviewed and considered the financial aid implications below.

You are encouraged to seek guidance from your advisor or the Registrar’s Office before you make any decision on these options.

Courses converted to P grades may impact qualification for the Dean’s or President’s List or honors designations (cum laude, etc.). The current policies remain intact. To qualify for either list, a student must have a minimum of 12 earned hours with standard grades resulting in a 3.5 or 4.0 GPA, respectively. P grades are not considered standard grades.

For undergraduate students, if you believe you might earn a C-, D+, D, or D- in one of your classes, it might be best to not select the NC option as remaining in the course as graded will allow you to earn credit. Keep in mind the C-, D+, D, or D- grade will be included in your GPA calculation.

Graduate schools, employers or certifications may require letter grades for particular courses. It is recommended you contact the specific graduate school before making a decision.

If your academic program requires grades for licensure/certification, you should consult with the program’s advisor before changing any course to P/NC.

If you are trying to raise your GPA to achieve academic good standing, P/NC grades will not increase your GPA. The College will determine how academic standing will be evaluated for those students opting to use the P/NC grading option.

Grade Point Average Implications Based on Certain Academic Goals

If you are trying to raise your GPA, P and NC grades will not increase your GPA.

The NCAA has issued a blank waiver for students who do not meet the requirements for Progress Towards Degree (required hours (9, 18, 24) and required GPA.  Student athletes should contact Jackie Hinton ( for specific information on how these policy changes may impact eligibility.

Graduation Implications

All P graded courses will count as earned hours toward graduation and other academic requirements.

P grades may impact honors designations for graduation (cum laude, etc.) and the honors minor.  Please contact Beth Lampinen ( for specific questions regarding possible implications related to graduation.

NC grades will not count as earned hours toward graduation and other academic requirements.

When considering NC grades for courses in the major, please be aware this could result in having to extend or delay graduation. Please give this careful thought and discuss with your advisor or the Registrar’s Office.

Financial Aid Implications

Students considering any grade adjustments are encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Scholarship organizations have adjusted their renewal requirements.  Promise and the WV Higher Education Grant has suspended GPA requirements for renewal this year but hours earned will still be counted.

The following is our current Satisfactory Academic Policy:

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements Full and part-time students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress to receive institutionally funded awards and/or to be eligible for Federal Title IV aid, such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, and Federal WorkStudy. Academic scholarships have additional requirements for eligibility and renewal. Progress is measured at the end of the academic year. To determine satisfactory academic progress (able to complete a baccalaureate degree as a full-time student in 6 years), the following progress scale will be used to determine if the student is eligible to receive financial aid for subsequent enrollment periods. The academic progress for students first enrolling during a spring semester will be reviewed at the end of the spring semester. Transfer students will be evaluated prior to their first semester of enrollment at Wesleyan and again in May of each academic year.

Yearly Progress* Percentage of Cumulative Hours Attempted that must be Earned Minimum CGPA**

End of Year 1     80%      1.75

End of Year 2     80%     2.00

End of Year 3     80%     2.00

End of Year 4     80%     2.00

End of Year 5     80%     2.00

End of Year 6     80%     2.00

*Yearly Progress is your standing after the spring semester of each academic year
**Cumulative College Grade Point Average

The Financial Aid Office will notify students not making satisfactory academic progress for renewal of financial aid after grades are finalized each academic year in May. To appeal your status, a letter describing your special circumstances and your plan to meet progress must be filed with the Financial Aid Office within 15 days of the notification of satisfactory academic progress deficiency. If a dismissed or suspended student submits an appeal through the Academic Affairs Office, the Financial Aid Office will use that letter. Students should compare their grade report at the end of each semester to the standards of the academic progress policy. In addition, if enrollment status falls below full-time (12 hours per semester) financial aid awards may be reduced or cancelled and academic progress may be affected.

Grade levels for federal loans will be consistent with institutional classification according to Credit Hours Earned (CHE).

 FreshmanSophomoreJuniorSenior5th Year
Grade Level12345
Loan Amount$5,500$6,500$7,500$7,500$7,500