Who Are We
The Outdoor Recreation program provides WVWC students with opportunities to immerse themselves in the “Wild & Wonderful” outdoor environment that makes West Virginia so beautiful. Whether you are planning your own outdoor excursion, need advice on what West Virginia outdoor destinations to visit, or want to tag along for a free/low cost trip, WVWC Outdoor Recreation is the answer!
What We Do
We offer 7-8 unique trips around West Virginia each semester. Adventures range from high-intensity and thrilling to laid back and serene. Our trips for the fall 2019 semester are as follows:
- 9/8: Rock Climbing & Stand-Up Paddle Boarding on Summersville Lake
- 9/22: Whitewater Rafting on the Lower New River
- 10/6: Mountain Biking at ACE Adventure Resort
- 10/27: Cass Railroad trip to Bald Knob during fall foliage
- 11/3: Falls to Peak Hiking at Blackwater Falls State Park
- 11/17: 16-Station Clay Shooting at Stonewall Sporting Clays
- 12/8: Caverns Tour in Smoke Hole Caverns
All trips are low-cost or free, and include travel, food, and necessary equipment. Each has maximum capacity numbers, so signing up early is encouraged. Be advised that there may be cancellation fees if proper notification is not given. Please read the Outdoor Rec Cancellation Policy. All participants must complete a Health and Liability Waiver prior to attending a trip.
Sign-ups open three weeks prior to each trip, and will occur through the Bobcat Connect app. To learn more details or sign up for a trip:
1) Download the Bobcat Connect app
2) Visit the Outdoor Recreation page
3) Find the event you want to attend
4) Read the trip details
5) Click the sign-up link and complete the information form
Students can take advantage of free rental equipment, games, and supplies to plan their own outdoor adventure. Email us to receive more information on rentals or take a look at our Current Rental List to see what equipment we have available in real-time! Also, please remember to read our Rental Agreement Policy prior to stopping by. We offer a variety of equipment in the following categories:
- Water Activities
- Outdoor Games
Campus Challenge – Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education (AORE)
While you’re enjoying the outdoors this fall, be sure to sign up for the AORE Campus Challenge initiative. All WVWC students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to participate in the challenge, regardless of your experience with outdoor activities! Participants will photograph themselves performing specific outdoor activities, upload them to the official Campus Challenge app, and in turn receive points for each activity. This not only helps WVWC’s nationwide standings against the 98 competing colleges, but it also allows participants to compete against their peers for the title of “WVWC Outsider of the Year”. Throughout the challenge, participants will have opportunities to win free gear, get involved in “Greater Good Initiatives”, and more. This competition begins September 16 and ends October 13, and is completely free to join! To sign up, download the app on the App Store or Google Play!
Registration is now through September 15! To sign up:
- Download the Campus Challenge App
- Create an account
- Select “West Virginia Wesleyan” for your institution
- Start logging your outdoor activities on September 16
- Win prizes and giveaways!
Questions? Please get in touch with our Outdoor Recreation Graduate Assistant, Collin Wallace.
- Office: WVWC Wellness Center, Office 106
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 304-473-8139
Keep up with the action on social media!