Campus Safety & Security
CONTACT CAMPUS SECURITY
We staff a Safety and Security force of full and part-time professional security personnel, as well as several carefully selected student officers. The primary purpose of the program is to maintain a safe and secure living environment for members of the college community.
As required by federal law, through the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, campus crime statistics are published annually during October. Current statistics for West Virginia Wesleyan College are included at the Crime Statistics link below or may be requested from the Office of Student Development by calling 304-473-8441.
Complete policy statements related to the information contained herein are found in the current Student Handbook , which also includes Drug Free Workplace and Drug Free Schools and Communities standards.
In compliance with the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, the sex offender registry for the state of West Virginia or for any county in the state can be found at West Virginia State Police. There you can find a list by county and photo of each person registered, with additional background information.
Campus Safety Tips
- Be Aware! Recognize that crime can happen, even on a campus as safe as ours.
- Sign up for the Emergency Alert service.
- Report suspicious persons or activities to Campus Security at 304-473-8011.
- Use the buddy system and watch out for others.
- Do not prop open residence hall doors – not even for food deliveries or late arriving friends.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Use the campus escort service.
- Always lock your door and your car.
Archive Files from 2016-2019
Officer Authorities & Responsibilities
Wesleyan security officers do not have police authority or carry weapons, but do cooperate with local law enforcement agencies in response to on and off-campus incidents. Off-campus conduct is subject to college judicial action. Police reports and written documentations are regularly cross-referenced for appropriate follow up of off-campus behavior.
Standard duties include:
- Patrolling and securing all campus- owned buildings, parking areas and walkways
- Monitoring security camera footage
- Enforcing college policies
- Investigating and documenting policy violations
- Cooperation with Campus Life staff in promoting a safe and secure campus
- Traffic regulation
- Escort service when requested
- Compiling information from daily incident logs, residence hall reports and police data to track accurate statistics
- Working with local police on crime prevention efforts, referrals for investigations and general safety education