The Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer, who is primarily responsible for the development and implementation of programs and services that strengthen the educational experience of our multicultural and international students, reports to the President. In addition to these critical duties, the Chief is expected to provide (in collaboration with various student organizations and academic and co-curricular departments) programs to help our college and local communities develop a greater understanding of diverse others. The Chief also plays an important role in the recruitment and retention of multicultural and international students.
This is a twelve-month, full-time position. Specific requirements and responsibilities include:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with study abroad experience.
MULTICULTURAL AND INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADVISING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Serve as the primary advisor to the Black Student Union (BSU), International Student Organization (ISO), and other multicultural and international student organizations.
- In conjunction with Campus Life Staff Members, assist with roommate issues and concerns; provide information to assist with greater cultural awareness and understanding.
- Assist and coordinate BSU, ISO, and other student organizations with programming efforts that provide opportunities for multicultural students to interact socially with each other, as well as with other members of the college community.
- In conjunction with Center for Community Engagement, provide opportunities for students to become involved in service/volunteer experiences at the local, regional, national and international level.
- Provide regular check-ins with the international students on campus.
- Recruit and cultivate host families to help our multicultural and international students become more connected with and integrated into the local community.
RECRUITMENT OF MULTICULTURAL STUDENTS
- Participate in college fairs and other recruitment events, particularly those that focus on prospective multicultural and international students.
- In conjunction with student organizations and other departments, plan, develop, implement and assess events and activities that will bring prospective multicultural and international students to campus.
- Assist with the creation of recruitment materials, telephone calls and written communiqués; and, attend to other projects and tasks, as requested.
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING EFFORTS
- In conjunction with various academic and co-curricular departments, develop and implement educational programs that focus on specific themes and relevant topics (i.e. Black History Month; Chinese New Year; Martin Luther King’s Birthday, etc…).
- In collaboration with other first year experience faculty members, the Dean of the Faculty and student development staff, provide programs on multicultural awareness for first year seminar classes, residence hall floors and other areas and departments, as requested.
- Create programs to strengthen cultural awareness and understanding within our local community—within the school system; for civic groups; and in other venues.
- Assist student organizations with the planning and implementation of on-campus gatherings and meetings, weekend and break trips to places and areas of interest, and other timely and relevant programs, based on students’ interests and needs.
- Serve as the budget officer for Multicultural and International Programs.
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) in SEVIS as the primary point person for all enrolled students with responsibilities including registration of students, I-20 processing, OPT processing, etc. Because many candidates my not have experience with SEVIS, training will be provided. This work will be done in a collaborative environment with the Admissions Office and Student Support Services.
- In conjunction with the development office, assist in the development of grant proposals related to strengthening the educational experience of our multicultural students.
- In conjunction with office of institutional research, complete surveys and other inquiries related to multicultural and international students.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
- Other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references to email@example.com. On the subject of the email, please enter: ##13## – Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.