The head coach of Esports is responsible for building and sustaining a campus-sponsored, competitive and revenue-generating Esports program. This includes ownership of team management, administration and sustainability. The primary role of the eSports coach is recruitment, retention, and engagement of team members through practice, team building, and competition.
Esports was established as the first new co-curricular program launched under the leadership of Dr. Joel Thierstein, West Virginia Wesleyan’s 19th President, and has continued Wesleyan’s regional and national role in developing relevant curriculum, activities, and experiences geared toward preparing graduates for a rapidly changing world.
In Fall of 2019, Wesleyan opened its first eSports arena. The team has gained multiple sponsorships and is equipped with the most competitive Dell Alienware computers and associated equipment. The team projects to be at fifteen members for Fall of 2020 as we look to welcome ten or more new competitors yearly. Wesleyan provides scholarships for eSports competitors and competes at League of Legends, Fortnite, and many other titles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct all aspects of the Esports program including, but not limited to, the organization and preparation for practice sessions, pregame organization, scouting reports, monitoring student performance, recruiting, scheduling competitions, equipment management, scholarship management and budget oversight.
- Be accountable for enrollment goals set by the College, collaborating with the Vice President of Enrollment Management to meet specified recruitment, retention and revenue goals.
- Provide leadership for the team; establish coaching strategies and teaching methods to develop student’s skills and teamwork; analyze team performance and adjust strategies as needed.
- Scout and recruit students who will succeed at the College and align with the vision of the College and program. Meet yearly recruitment, revenue, and retention targets.
- Ensure academic performance and personal development of students; provide positive intervention for additional students engaged with the program.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism toward students, other coaches, parents, administrators, and members of the community
- Maintain and develop the Esports arena/competition space to meet student and team needs.
- Respond to developing changes and best practices in the gaming community in this rapidly growing sport.
- Understand all collegiate team rules and regulations, and assure compliance and consistency among staff and students.
- Conduct campus-wide programming to engage casual gamers and increases exposure to responsible gaming. Act as an Esports ambassador to the campus and area community.
- Develop and operate Esports camps and outreach opportunities
- Work with the Vice President for Advancement to actively seek and engage sponsorships and donors.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- High-level gaming experience as coach or player required
- Intercultural competency; ability to work with individual from diverse backgrounds
- Skills and experience coaching and team motivation
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a goal‐oriented strategic thinker
- Passion and motivation to recruit student-athletes
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Outcomes-oriented approach to coaching
- Professional integrity and a positive approach to conflict management/resolution
- Ability to work weekdays, weekends, and some evenings
- Valid driver’s license and availability for very moderate travel
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and names and contact information of three references to email@example.com. On the subject of the email, please enter: ##4## – Head Coach of Esports. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.