The Vice President for Advancement is the senior leader and chief fundraising officer for West Virginia Wesleyan College and reports directly to the President. With a focus on increasing philanthropic revenue, the Vice President for Advancement, in conjunction with the President, is expected to create and execute a strategic advancement plan that strengthens the Wesleyan community. The Vice President will lead the advancement team and provide direction for fundraising, corporate and foundation relations, alumni and parent relations, and campaign planning and implementation. The Vice President will effectively partner with other campus offices as well as the Board of Trustees and Alumni Council to foster and promote a culture of philanthropy across a base of more than 15,000 alumni. The Vice President for Advancement will also work with the campus community to develop a significant donor base outside the Wesleyan family. The Vice President will work with the College’s Office of Marketing and Communications to produce all Advancement communications including publications, social media posts, press releases, corporation and foundation proposals, grant requests, constituent correspondence, letters, and materials. The Vice President will also manage a portfolio of leadership donors. The Vice President should have a deep understanding of and passion for the institution, its mission and goals.
The Vice President is a member of the President’s Cabinet, Campus Budget Committee, and Marketing Strategy Team. The Vice President is required to adhere to high standards of ethical practices and conduct, serve as an active and visible member of the Wesleyan community, attend major College fundraising events, and maintain collaborative working relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Advancement experience in higher education and/or professional business experience with a proven record of significant personal success in development, constituency engagement and staff management, as well as a comprehensive knowledge or strategies employed in all major development and alumni functions is strongly preferred;
- Proven track record of significant personal success in donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship at principal gift levels;
- Experience leading all aspects of a team, including recruiting, managing, retaining, motivating, and evaluating staff;
- Exhibit a high level of integrity and trust, exhibit the credibility, political savvy, and sophistication to engage and partner with key internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and work collaboratively to create, support, and allocate resources to advance priorities;
- Self-starter with a sense of urgency and a key set of priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing circumstances;
- Exemplary communication skills, including public speaking, interpersonal communication skills, and a capacity to listen;
- Willingness to travel locally and nationally; must be willing to work flexible hours as the position requires both travel and work on evenings and weekends; and
- Experience with advancement software preferred.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references to email@example.com. On the subject of the email, please enter: ##8## – Vice President for Advancement.