A minimum of 49 credit hours are required for the MFA degree. Requirements include completion of four residencies and a fifth thesis-presentation residency, and completion of the following required courses:
Poetry Track: ENGL 540 (four times), ENGL 545 (four times), ENGL 570 (three times), ENGL 650, and ENGL 655.
Fiction Track: ENGL 520 (four times), ENGL 525 (four times), ENGL 570 (three times), ENGL 650, and ENGL 655.
Creative Nonfiction Track: ENG 530 (four times), ENG 535 (four times), ENG 570 (three times), ENG 650, and ENGL 655.
1. Four semesters of supervised work, earning minimum of 49 credit hours.
2. Five residencies. The Fifth Residency is devoted to participating in a Thesis Interview, teaching a seminar and presenting a graduate reading.
3. Critical Essay (20-25 pages).
4. Creative Thesis (100-page minimum for fiction and nonfiction; 50-page minimum for poetry).
5. Comprehensive Annotated Bibliography.
6. Submission of the Application for Degree form one semester before intended graduation.
7. Payment of the $125 graduation fee.
8. Narrative Transcript prepared collaboratively with Advisor and Director.
Leader Photo © Doug Van Gundy