The Director of Campus Safety and Security is a 12-month, full time position that reports directly to the Supervisor of Campus Safety and Security. The director, along with his/her officers, promote lawful behavior and protect the welfare of students, faculty and staff as a uniformed presence on campus. The campus safety and security staff perform foot and golf cart patrols of the college campus to monitor behavior, secure buildings and property, investigate disturbances, and maintain order during events while enforcing regulations.
They monitor the physical safety of campus buildings by locking and unlocking doors, patrolling and reporting suspicious behavior. The staff is tasked with proactive educational training and awareness to all campus constituents. They are also tasked with enforcing traffic and parking regulations, ticketing offenders when necessary.
In emergency situations, the Director of Campus Safety and Security coordinates campus security officers to respond to the scene, provide first aid, and alert additional police, emergency personnel or college officials as appropriate. Written reports submitted as necessary. Other duties may include monitoring alarm systems and responding to alerts, training additional security officers and serving as crowd control at special events. Specific duties of the Director of Campus Safety and Security include:
- Supervises full time, part time and student security officers
- Scheduling of all security officers
- Work with the Supervisor to reviews, evaluates and implements the goals, mission and vision of the Campus Safety and Security department
- Works collaboratively with the Office of Campus Life, Counseling and Health Services, Greek Affairs, Athletic Department, Information Technology, Academic Affairs and the local Buckhannon Police and Upshur County Sheriff’s Department.
- Maintains the campus’ daily crime log and all statistics for required state and federal reports
- Utilizes computer knowledge for reports, scheduling, surveillance, and door unlocking system
- Conducts safety/security and educational programs for residential and commuter students
- Functions as a member of the college’s Early Alert Emergency Management Team
Participates in and coordinates staff in the following important campus efforts:
- Patrols assigned areas on foot, or in golf cart to ensure personal, building, and equipment security.
- Examines doors, windows, and college premises to ensure security; uses college keys to open and close buildings; monitors closed buildings for unauthorized persons and/or suspicious activities.
- Informs and warns violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking, or carrying forbidden articles.
- Provides escort services for visitors, students, staff, and faculty, as necessary; provides other public assistance, such as lockout services, jump-starts, and routine information.
- Watches for and reports irregularities, such as security breaches, facility and safety hazards, and emergency situations; contacts emergency responders, such as police, fire, and/or ambulance personnel, as required.
- Remains alert for the presence of unauthorized persons and/or security code violators; approaches suspicious persons and/or notifies police as appropriate; may confront and/or detain violators, as required, until police arrive.
- Performs periodic checks of emergency call boxes and/or street lights to ensure proper functioning; reports malfunctions as required.
- Patrols and monitors assigned parking areas to provide public security and assistance.
- Assists with coordinating professional development and training programs that help promote community well-being.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send a letter of interest, resume and the names of three references to John Bohman, Supervisor of Campus Safety and Security Electronic submissions preferred to email@example.com.
Skills and Abilities Required Knowledge,
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to complete routine paperwork and reports
- Computer skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation.
- Ability to facilitate presentations to small and large groups
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Knowledge of public security codes, policies, and regulations and ability to enforce
- Skill in providing protection services to individuals on campus.
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of security experience
- Experience in supervising security staff