The Graduate Assistant for Outdoor Recreation is a live-in 10 month, 2 year commitment, with oversight of planning, promoting, implementing, attending and supervising the college’s outdoor recreation events (12-14 annually). Applicants must be accepted into one of West Virginia Wesleyan College’s graduate programs (MBA, MSN, MFA or MSAT) before being considered for the position. The stipend includes tuition, full room and board, and $3,500. Hours include weekday office hours, weeknight hours and duty rotation, and several weekend trips. The position reports to one Assistant Director of Campus Life and the Director of Campus Life.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participates in duty rotation with professional staff
• Responsible (along with another Outdoor Recreation GA) for planning, promoting, implementing, attending and supervising weekend outdoor recreation trips
• Responsible for maintaining a budget as well as other administrative duties
• Responsible for oversight of equipment rental inventory, maintenance and replacement
• Responsible for ensuring that student participants adhere to safety guidelines and follow appropriate emergency/accident procedures
• Responsible for oversight of the college’s bike share program
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Supervision skills
• Knowledge of various computer programs, i.e. MS Office, Outlook, Adobe, etc.
• Knowledge of social media advertising
• Skills in leading backpacking trips, kayaking, rock climbing, horseback riding, camping, paintball, etc.
• Driver’s license
• Bachelor’s degree
• Residence Life experience
• Acceptance into a master’s level program at West Virginia Wesleyan College
• Must meet the requirements of WVWC’s Vehicle Policy as a van driver
• Position subject to background check
• Interest in the Outdoors
• Position begins August 1 of each year and ends May 31 of each year
• Wilderness First Responder
• Experience in leading trips and certification in multiple outdoor recreation activities
• American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor certified, or the ability to obtain within 30 days of employment
To APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com. On the subject of the email, please enter: ##13## – GRD – Outdoor Recreation. Preference will be given to applications received by March 15, 2021.