MFA in Creative Writing
A minimum of 49 credit hours are required for the MFA degree. Requirements include completion of four residencies and a fifth thesis-presentation residency, and completion of the following required courses:
Poetry Track: ENGL 540 (four times), ENGL 545 (four times), ENGL 570 (two times), ENGL 625, ENGL 650, and ENGL 655.
Fiction Track: ENGL 520 (four times), ENGL 525 (four times), ENGL 570 (two times), ENGL 625, ENGL 650, and ENGL 655.
Creative Nonfiction Track: ENGL 530 (four times), ENGL 535 (four times), ENGL 570 (two times), ENGL 625, ENGL 650, and ENGL 655.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MFA DEGREE WITH A SECONDARY GENRE CONCENTRATION
Poetry Concentration adds ENGL 540, 545, 575 to Fiction or Nonfiction Track.
Fiction Concentration adds ENGL 520, 525, 575 to Poetry or Nonfiction Track.
Nonfiction Concentration adds ENGL 530, 535, 575 to Fiction or Poetry Track.
1. Four semesters of supervised work, earning minimum of 49 credit hours. [Five semesters of supervised work for graduation with Secondary Genre Concentration, earning a minimum of 61 credit hours.]
2. Five residencies. [Six residencies for graduation with Secondary Genre Concentration.] The Fifth [or Final] Residency is devoted to participating in a Thesis Interview, teaching a seminar and presenting a graduate reading.
3. Critical Essay (20-25 pages).
4. Creative Thesis (100-125 pages for fiction and nonfiction; 48-60 pages for poetry).
5. Comprehensive Annotated Bibliography.
6. Submission of the Application for Degree form one semester before intended graduation.
7. Payment of the $150 graduation fee.
8. Narrative Transcript prepared collaboratively with Advisor and Director.